Passed unanimously by the Berkeley Post Office Defenders General Assembly 12/01/14.
Whereas Berkeley Post Office Defenders are involved with the struggle of the citizens of Berkeley, California, and the United States to retain the US Postal Service as a service for the public;
Whereas we seek to prevent the Postal Service’s privatization, to defend the living wage jobs and the rights of postal workers as part of the public sector, and to stop the sale of our historic buildings;
Whereas we oppose the actions of private investors who are attempting to eliminate our constitutionally mandated public services and commons in order to make large profits;
Whereas we recognize that the fight against privatization and for the public welfare extends to higher education and beyond – to schools, hospitals, infrastructure and the rest of our commons;
Therefore be it resolved that Berkeley Post Office Defenders stand in solidarity with the collective actions of UC students, and all organizations working to:
- demand that the state of California reinvest in schools and provide an accessible system of public education here in the U.S. and worldwide
- oppose tuition hikes and privatization of public resources on the UC Campuses
- demand that the state of California reinvest in schools and that we provide an accessible system of public education to all here in the U.S. and worldwide
- put California on a path back to a tuition-free higher public education, as we essentially had in the past and could have again,
- demand transparency of the UC budget for students and the community, and
- insure the dropping of all charges against any people participating in these protests.